Pulled from the daily newsletter; reverse chronological order.
[Up to main reading recommendations page]
- Day 61, 21 March 2020
- Day 60, 20 March 2020
- Day 59, 19 March 2020
- Day 58, 18 March 2020
- Day 57, 17 March 2020
- Day 56, 16 March 2020
- Day 55, 15 March 2020
21 March 2020
This is a combo reading/watching recommendation: in 2015 Bill Gates gave a TED talk, We’re not ready for the next epidemic. This GatesNotes essay contains the video as well as additional information, including links to an op-ed for the NYT and an essay in the New England Journal of Medicine.
20 March 2020
- 31 questions and answers about COVID-19. Bill Gates, 19 March 2020.
- Grandaughter of Quebec’s first COVID-19 victim issues heartfelt plea on social media. Global News (Canada), 20 March 2020.
- “I Don’t Scare Easily, but I Am Afraid”: The Dangers of Being Asian American Right Now. Sara Li is a New York City-based writer, 20 March 2020.
- I’m A Doctor. The U.S. Response To Coronavirus Has Been Nothing Short Of Criminal. Dipti S. Barot is a primary care doctor in the San Francisco Bay area. 20 March 2020.
- “They Ignored the Warning Signs”: A New York City ER Doctor Explains What She’s Up Against. Vogue, March 20, 2020.
“[W]e are saving the tests for people who are in critical condition.”
19 March 2020
- A New York neurosurgeon has coronavirus. This is what he wants people to know, USA Today, 19 March 2020
- Coronavirus will radically alter the U.S. Here’s what may lie ahead based on math models, hospital projections and past pandemics, Washington Post, 19 March 2020 (no paywall)
- How Korea trounced U.S. in race to test people for coronavirus, Reuters, 18 March 2020
- The U.S. needs a 9/11 Commission-style probe of coronavirus response, Seattle Times, 13 March 2020
18 March 2020
- Rebuttal to “A Fiasco In the Making,” Hilda Bastian (Australian scientist), 18 March 2020
- The new coronavirus threatens to overwhelm California hospitals in the coming weeks, LA Times, 18 March
- What I want you to know about coronavirus, from a Seattle woman who recovered from COVID-19, Seattle Times, 18 March
17 March 2020
- COVID-19 Update, A Message From Concerned Physicians. 17 March 2020.
The COVID-19 pandemic has reached a point where containment is no longer possible. The COVID-19 threat is real, and rapidly getting worse. Many of you are very nervous, some are unsure of the validity of the information you are reading. As physician leaders, we felt it was important to craft a resource you can rely on as being scientifically accurate and one which contains as much actionable information and guidance as possible.
- The Covid-19 question: Can social solidarity replicate faster than the virus?, VOX, 17 March 2020.
The difficulty in modeling [COVID-19] reflects the fact that the question being asked isn’t just epidemiological, it’s social and political: Can social trust and solidarity replicate faster than the virus?
16 March 2020
- Essential details on White House coronavirus testing still murky after Pence news conference, Washington Post, 15 March 2020
- Federal vaccine development sites ill-suited to counter COVID-19 epidemic, Washington Post, 15 March 2020
- How a Seattle suburb responded after becoming the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak, Seattle Times, 16 March 2020
15 March 2020
- How You Should Get Food During the Pandemic, Atlantic Monthly, 14 March 2020
- Why Experts Are Urging Social Distancing to Combat Coronavirus Outbreak, UC San Francisco, 14 March 2020