A new (novel) respiratory virus was identified in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China in late December 2019. After being examined, the coronavirus was named SARS-COV-2 and the coronavirus disease, COVID-19. The first case of COVID-19 in the United States was reported 21 January 2020 by the state of Washington and the CDC. This first patient had traveled to the U.S. from Wuhan and passed through SeaTac airport en route to his home north of Seattle. Washington state announced the first death in the nation on 29 February 2020.
Resources on COVID-19, hosted on WiredPen until (if) I get a website launched.
- Blog posts tagged COVID19
- Daily newsletter archive
- Data and data sources
- State departments of heath and current state data
- Stay-at-home orders by state
- Trump’s statements
- Twitter list (reporters, scientists, organizations)
- What is a chronic health condition?
- When you (or a loved one) feels sick
- Watch (or listen to) these videos
🌐 Global news
📚 Resource links
- Annotated coronavirus resources & readings
- Annotated list of official sources
- CDC, COVID-19 portal
- How do the tests for coronavirus work?
- Johns Hopkins, COVID-19 interactive dashboard
Download data from GitHub
- Johns Hopkins, COVID-19 overview
- Our World in Data
- Twitter list of experts, news and organizations
- WHO, COVID-19 global overview and COVID-19 rolling updates
🆘 States of emergency
All governors have issued a state of emergency:
AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, IA,
ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO,
MS, MT, NE, NC, ND, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NV, OH,
OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA,
WI, WV, WY.