Specific changes in the Dashboard
- Settings -> Permalinks : change permalink structure (factors to consider)
- Settings -> General : Title/Subtitle; Time-zone; date format; time format
- Settings -> Writing : Disable “Post Via Email” and “Remote Publishing” unless you plan to do these things. Note: “Remote Publishing” must be turned on to use ScribeFire or iPad/iPhone apps
- Settings -> Discussion : Review settings/make recommendations
- Posts –> categories: edit “Uncategorized” and rename it something meaningful, even if it’s just “Miscellaneous”. You can also add new categories here or when you are creating a blog post.
- Settings-> privacy: You must make your blog public — whether or not it is included in search engines or public listings is your choice.
- Options –> general: Change the timezone to [-8 / Los Angeles or San Francisco]
- Users -> Users -> Authors & Users : Set up new admin and disable default admin privileges or delete account (security)
- Menus -> Discussion
- Akismet [configure – get API key]
- Google Analytics for WordPress
- Google XML Sitemaps
- UpdraftPlus – Backup/Restore
- All in one SEO Pack [competition: HeadSpace: WordPress SEO Made Simple and WordPress SEO]
- Sexy Bookmarks (my fav)