When you’re in a hurry or aren’t quite in the completely-from-scratch mindset, try this recipe for cakes or cupcakes using your favorite mix as a base.
I promise you’ll be pleased with the results.
You’ll never go back to a plain cake mix again. Ever!
Sexy cake mix recipe
This variation on box mixes is certain to please.
Author: Kathy Gill
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 (15.25 oz) package cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz) package Greek yogurt instant pudding mix
- ¾ c sour cream
- ¾ c vegetable oil or softened butter
- ½ c warm water
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 T pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare cupcake pan or layer pans.
- In mixing bowl (use paddle attachment), combine all ingredients for about two minutes on medium speed.
- Bake in preheated oven until the tops of the cake(s) spring back when lightly touched. This is 18-22 minutes for cupcakes, 23-30 minutes for two 9-inch layer cake pans, or 50-55 minutes for a Bundt cake. This will make 18 medium-sized cupcakes.
- Allow cake(s) to cool in the pan about 10-15 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
- Top with buttercream icing when fully cool.
Notes and variations
- I vacillate better Betty Crocker (pudding in the mix) and Duncan Hines.
- If you are making chocolate cake, go for Devils Food Cake and consider substituting warm (not too hot) coffee for the warm water. Also, mix in some chocolate chips just before you put your batter in your pan(s).
- I tried Greek yogurt pudding when my grocery store was out of the vanilla Jello instant pudding. Won’t go back!
- Modified from MyBakingAddiction
- For more ways to jazz up a boxed cake mix, check out OneGoodThing