COVID-19 news blurbs from around the world, 27 March 2020.
- On Friday, the New York Times made its county-level database of 85,000 cases public.
- On Friday, the New York Department of Health revised its guidelines that prohibit hospital visitors. There are now two exceptions: obstetrics and pediatrics. In both cases, “the Department considers one support person essential to patient care” [emphasis in the original document].
- Hospital systems administrations in Atlanta, New Orleans, New York and Seattle are “warning that they have or will reach capacity in the coming days.”
- The cruise ship cases that dominated the news in February have faded from headlines. We learned this week that two people from the Grand Princess have died. Both victims were in their 60s, and died on 21 March and 23 March.
- Thursday, Louisiana officials reported that a 17-year-old from Orleans Parish died from COVID-19. Previously, the youngest death had been at age 36.
- India: Covid-19 hasn’t yet hit India in a widespread way. But I saw more warnings there than I did in the U.S. Stat News, 27 March 2020.
- Our best defense against Covid-19? Science. Stat News, 27 March 2020.
- We have the first deaths in Alabama, Delaware, Idaho, North Dakota, Nebraska. There are no reported deaths in Hawaii, Rhode Island, West Virginia and Wyoming or American Samoa and the Virgin Islands.
- Epidemiology of Covid-19 in a Long-Term Care Facility in King County, Washington. New England Journal of Medicine, 27 March 2020.
… proactive steps by long-term care facilities to identify and exclude potentially infected staff and visitors, actively monitor for potentially infected patients, and implement appropriate infection prevention and control measures are needed to prevent the introduction of Covid-19.
- Coronavirus-Related Deaths Rise to 519 in New York, Governor Cuomo. CSPAN, 27 March 2020
- Governor Baker Says Massachusetts Will Not Be Up and Running By Easter. CSPAN, 27 March 2020
- President Trump on Governors: “I Want Them to Be More Appreciative”. CPSAN, 27 March 2020