After the close of business on Tuesday, Geekwire reported that an Amazon employee in the Seattle office had been diagnosed with COVID-19. Earlier in the morning, Seattle-King County announced that there are now nine deaths and 21 confirmed cases in King County. There are six cases in Snohomish County.
Washington is home to patient zero for COVID-19 in the United States, and all US deaths to date are here. No one who was evacuated from China or from the Diamond Princess Cruise ship has died.
Scientist and professor Trevor Bedford announced on Twitter late Tuesday that “there are at least two #COVID19 transmission chains circulating in the greater Seattle area.” Bedford was responding to results of the third SARS-CoV-2 genome that had been sampled on Thursday, 27 February.
03 March, domestic
- Arizona: 2 cases
- California: 43 cases (24 are from repatriation flights)
- Florida: 2 cases
- Georgia: 2 cases
- Illinois: 4 cases
- New York: 2 cases
- Massachusetts: 1 case
- Oregon: 3 cases
- Rhode Island: 2 cases
- Texas: 11 cases (all from repatriation flights)
- Washington: 27 cases
- Wisconsin: 1 case
03 March, global
- Globally: 90,870 confirmed (1,922 new)
- China: 80,304 confirmed (130 new) with 2,946 deaths (31 new)
- Outside of China: 10,566 confirmed (1,792 new) in 72 countries (8 new) with 166 deaths (38 new)
- Global confirmed: 93,158
- Total deaths: 3,198
- Total recovered: 50,690