This week’s (20 – 26 January) episode of Donald Trump’s America brings us the following:
January, Days 1-7
Day 7, 26 January 2017
Day 6, 25 January 2017
- The entire senior level of management at the State Department resigned.
Day 5, 24 January 2017
- Trump Administration limits communication activities ata the Environmental Protection Agency, the Interior Department, the Department of Agriculture and the Department of Health and Human Services.
- SENATE Action: Nikki R. Haley confirmed as Ambassador to the United Nations (96-4)
Day 4, 23 January 2017
- The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported that the CDC “quietly and abruptly” canceled a February climate and health summit scheduled to take place in Atlanta.
- SENATE Action: Mike Pompeo confirmed as Director of the Central Intelligence Agency (66-32).
Day 3, 22 January 2017
- In an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Trump senior adviser Kellyanne Conway told Chuck Todd that Press Secretary Spicer used ‘alternative facts’ in his first press statement
Day 2, 21 January 2017
- Trump’s press secretary lied his first day on the job and became a viral meme
- Women’s March around the world. Hundreds of protestors from Canada, were turned away at the US border.
Day 1, 20 January 2017
- White House staff deleted nearly all mentions of climate change on whitehouse.gov
- Inauguration marked by celebration and protest
- The Trump International Hotel in Washington banned the media from its premises during inauguration week.
- Dr. Thomas Frieden, head of the CDC, resigned.
- BILLS SIGNED: Trump signed his first piece of legislation, a waiver needed for Mattis to be appointed Secretary of Defense. The bill passed the House 268 – 151, and the Senate 81 – 17.
- SENATE Action: James. N. Mattis confirmed (98-1) as secretary of defense and John F. Kelly confirmed (88-11) as secretary of homeland security. President Trump signed their commissions in the Oval Office.