Art meets politics meets college assignment.
Aria Watson is an 18-year-old college student at Clatsop Community College in Oregon. Her birthday came after November 9, so she was ineligible to vote. But the election captured her imagination and interest.
I’m in that stage of trying to figure out who I am. So far all I really know is that I am a feminist.
For her introduction to photography final project, she proposed taking photos of Trump quotes written on women’s bodies. Her professor thought it was a cool project but that it would be past its prime, so to speak, a month after the election. Because he assumed Clinton would win.
She wanted to do more to change minds (and hearts) than get into another argument on Facebook. So she went ahead with the project, #SignedByTrump, never imagining it would be so relevant or touch so many people.
Watson reports in her YouTube monologue that she posted the photos to Facebook and Instagram, only to have them taken down for community standards violation (nudity) although only one (below) shows breats. After fighting this losing battle more than once, she punted to Tumblr. At this writing, there are more than 106,000 notes.
Watson said the models are friends and family, and one is a self-portrait. In response to complaints about the lack of diversity (one model is Latina), Watson told the HuffPo:
I would have LOVED to have some more women of color, but I live in such a small town and attend such a small college where the majority of people are white.
Watson’s statement on YouTube
Three decades of Trump quotes
- “Blood coming out of her whatever” – August 7, 2015, in reference to Megyn Kelly
- “Must be a pretty picture you dropping to your knees” – 2013 episode of Celebrity Apprentice, in reference to contestant Brande Roderick
- “Grab ’em by the pussy” – 2005, in conversation with Bill Bush on Access Hollywood bus
- “You have to treat them like shit” – November 9, 1992, quoted in New York Magazine
- “No longer a 10” – August 16, 2015, in reference to model Heidi Klum
- “A person who is flat-chested is very hard to be a 10″ – 2005 appearance on Howard Stern radio show, in reference to actresses on Desperate Housewives
- “Young and beautiful piece of ass” – 1991 Esquire interview