Our Twitter class developed this matrix for thinking about best practices:
Listen is analogous to “crawl before running.”
Understand the culture of the medium:
* Don’t sell, at least not all the time
* Avoid spamming (this is a contest warning!)
* It’s a personal space, “real” and “conversational”
* It’s transparent
Act includes the following:
* respond to new followers
* understand Twitter etiquette (@, RT, #)
* follower policy (develop one)
* learn from others (listen)
Evolve … means you should be constantly thinking about your communication strategy and the needs of your followers. Integrate Twitter into your communications mix; use metrics to track your progress.
We may have numbered these, but they are, in fact, iterative.
Notes for panel discussion at the Comcast/SMCSeattle Voluntweetup.