I’m getting ready for Gnomedex, poking around the Pathable conference community. I ran across this Six Things You Didn’t Know About Me post from Dave Delaney and decided to launch my own!
The 6 Things!
- In high school, I was a “soda jerk” and in college, a waitress at Pizza Hut. Everyone who plans to dine out should have to wait tables for at least a week!
- I listened to Richard Nixon’s resignation speech on a radio, sitting outside at the family farm near Dawson, GA, where we were building a house.
- I come by my lead foot honestly. Both parents raced stock cars when I was a wee thing. My first publicly stated career goal was to “be a mechanic like my daddy.” I was, maybe, 5, and regularly covered in splotches of dirt and grease as I “helped.”
- I was “this close” to Paul Newman when he was racing at Lime Rock, CT (Memorial Day weekend, 1980?). We’d gone down to the pit area when Newman, who had run his car into the creek (steering broke, brakes died?), seemed to materialize in front of us. I was so excited I failed to properly focus my Nikon. Thus, I have a fuzzy photo of a very wet Paul Newman!
- Shortly after moving to Philadelphia, I went to hear (and dance to) Count Basie and his orchestra; they played in the northernwestern suburbs in what I remember being a large decked out gym. After talking to some of the stage hands, I got an invitation to meet the great man himself afterwards. I have an autographed napkin, somewhere! And a great photo of the Count at the piano. (Unlike the Newman photo, this one is in focus.)
- Performer from an early age: I studied ballet and tap in pre- and elementary school; learned gymnastics (at the YMCA) before it was a household world; and played Wendy in Peter Pan in college. How I got the courage to sing in front of an audience, I don’t remember.
The “Tag You’re It” Gang of Six
From Dave (who gave his hat tip to Connie Crosby):
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on the blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know they have been tagged.
6. Let the tagger know when your entry is up.
4 replies on “Six Random Things”
[…] Dave (who gave his hat tip to Connie Crosby): 1. Link to the person who tagged you: Kathy Gill 2. Post the rules on the blog. 3. Write six random things about yourself. 4. Tag six people at the […]
Thanks for the shout out and keeping this meme going. Very interesting collection of anecdotes!
Spunky GIdget plays along! She’s minimalist; I have to tell a story in each point!