This is a hearty recipe that does not use bread crumbs as filler. It is a “crabby” crab cake! Serves 4-6
- 1/2 large bell pepper (diced)
- bunch green onion (diced)
- 1 celery stick (diced)
- 1 T butter
- ~ 1.5 pounds lump crab meat (chilled)
- 1/2 c Parsley (chopped)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 2 T mayo
- 2 T dijon mustard
- Panko bread crumbs (~1 c)
- Olive oil
- 1.5 t Old Bay Seasoning
- 0.5 t White pepper
- 1 t Worcestershire sauce
- Dash cayenne pepper
- Heat a frying pan; melt the butter. Lightly saute the vegetables (bell pepper, green onion, celery). They should still be crunchy. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the crab meat, egg, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, mayo, parsley, seasonings. Mix well. Add the cooled vegetables.
- Form patties using a 1/3 c measuring cup; scoop the crab meat into the cup, then up-end on a platter. Patties should be about 1-inch tall. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Heat a film of olive oil in a large skillet or griddle.
- Place panko on a sheet pan or platter.
- Carefully dip each side of the crab cake lightly in the panko; place on tray or platter.
- When oil is hot, cook until light brown/golden and crab mixture is warmed through. Carefully flip crab cakes to cook each side (approximately 4-5 min per side).
- Serve hot; garnish with lemon aioli or your favorite sauce.
Corn on the cob is an excellent side dish!