French Toast To Die For
This is absolutely the best French toast you’ll ever eat! Crispy on the outside, custardy on the inside. And rich! You don’t really need honey or syrup.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 2 T honey, warmed in microwave for 10 seconds
- 2 T of vanilla
- 1 T of cinnamon + cinnamon to sprinkle before grilling
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 croissants – slice lengthwise and be careful not to make the bottom too thin or it will not absorb the custard
- Loaf of Challah – slice thick
In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and orange zest. You may do this the night before. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then place on a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan; allow to rest for 1 to 2 minutes.
Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan. Sprinkle two slices of bread with cinnamon, then place in pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 3-5 minutes. Repeat with all slices.
Serve immediately with maple syrup, warmed honey, whipped cream and/or fruit.