This is absolutely the best French toast you’ll ever eat! Crispy on the outside, custardy on the inside. And rich! You don’t really need honey or syrup.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 2 T honey, warmed in microwave for 10 seconds
- 2 T of vanilla
- 1 T of cinnamon + cinnamon to sprinkle before grilling
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 croissants – slice lengthwise and be careful not to make the bottom too thin or it will not absorb the custard
- Loaf of Challah – slice thick
In medium size mixing bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, honey, salt, cinnamon, vanilla and orange zest. You may do this the night before. When ready to cook, pour custard mixture into a pie pan and set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Dip bread into mixture, allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side, and then place on a cooling rack that is sitting in a sheet pan; allow to rest for 1 to 2 minutes.
Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a 10-inch nonstick saute pan. Sprinkle two slices of bread with cinnamon, then place in pan and cook until golden brown, approximately 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from pan and place on rack in oven for 3-5 minutes. Repeat with all slices.
Serve immediately with maple syrup, warmed honey, whipped cream and/or fruit.