- A short history of the web and how it works
- Alphabet soup!
- Understanding HTML
- A look under-the-hood
- XHTML – building a basic page
- FTP – what it is, how it works
Where We Were
The Web & How It Works
- What do we know about the origins of the Web?
- Browser battles and HTML 2, 3.0, 3.2 and 4.x
- Who had heard of Opera before this reading?
- Web servers: Apache v IIS
- The new browser wars: mobile browsers
- What is XHTML
- What is HTML
A Look Under The Hood
XHTML – building a basic page
- Remember: structure matters!
- XHTML for this course
- proper file naming convention
- File name conventions and best practices
- lower case
- use “html” as your extension
- noSpacesInFileNames.html or no_spaces_in_file_names.jpg
- no special (# ! *) characters
- put stuff in folders! (nothing “at root” but main home page)
- Create first page
- Create a new folder: proseminar_fall07
- Download this sample “start” page (right-click)
- Open it in your HTML editor
- Modify the content
- Test that first page
- On your hard drive
- On your dante account (students.washington.edu/yourNetID/proseminar_fall07/)
- Lab: Convert an HTML page to an XHTML page
FTP – what it is, how it works (UWICK)
- Set up UW Dante account for web services
- Practice FTP
- host: homer.u.washington.edu
- remember: all web pages are in the public_html directory
- these files are in the sub-directory proseminar_fall07
Assignment for Next Session:
- Chapter 2, Meeting the “HT” in HTML, in Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML. Available via UW Libraries/Safari Online. Offcampus link.
- Chapter 3, The Trouble With Standards, and Chapter 4, Findability, Syndication…, in Designing With Web Standards, Second Edition.
- Put on your “I have been made manager of a web project” hat. Post a comment on this page about something that you learned in these readings that you could use if you were managing a web project.
- Replace or edit the home page on your main dante account – put a link to the index.html page for this course work
- Create a page (any page!) and link to your dante account index.html