Going beyond “someone’s wrong on the Internet”.
- If a tweet sounds too good to be true, it probably is. This theme is very common in email hoaxes and legends.
- If a tweet sounds too bad to be true, it probably is. Think “so-and-so just died!”
- If the tweet contains a call to action but no link for verification, do not retweet without verifying!
- If the tweet is full of ALL CAPITALS and !!!! you probably want to run away.
- If the tweet is time-sensitive (related to a natural disaster or a major news story) then put on your virtual hoax-meter.
This collection of links (2009-2014) reflects my attempts to course-correct digital conversation.