This tutorial shows you how to access an article in a University of Washington Library database (such as ACM) from off-campus by beginning at the UW Library website.. If you are on campus, the steps are the same, except there is no need for the off-campus login steps.
However, some people use the library proxy bookmarklet rather than beginning research at the UW Libraries web site. More info on that option is available at http://www.lib.washington.edu/help/connect.html
- Go to http://www.lib.washington.edu/
- Select the “off campus login” link – upper right-hand corner
- Enter your UWNetID and password
- The Library website shows you are logged in
- Follow the “Research Databases” link
- To find a specific database, type the name in the search box:
- The search result lists the database; click its name:
- Each database has its own search options. This is the ACM Digital Library:
- In the following screen shots, I have used the ACM advanced search to find this article:Davis, R. (2001, February). The Digital Dilemma. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 44, No. 2, pp 77-83.
Advanced Search Screen – click image to see larger view
Advanced Search Screen With Search Terms – click image to see larger view
Search Results – The Article In Question – click image to see larger view