This is a step-by-step to manually subscribe to an RSS feed using Bloglines.
This step-by-step assumes that you have already created an account at Bloglines and have logged in to the Bloglines homepage. The blog in the tutorial is The Social Customer Manifesto.
- Log in to Bloglines.
- In another tab or window, navigate to the blog that you’d like to add to your Bloglines feeds (subscriptions).
- Find the RSS link on the blog that you want to add to your subscriptions. Look for an orange “XML” or “RSS” icon — or an orange “Subscribe” button — or the hyperlinked words “Subscribe” – “RSS” – or “XML”.
- If there is more than one link option — don’t worry. Just pick one! Then right-click that link (URL) and copy it to the clipboard (right-click -> copy).
- Open the browser window containing Bloglines.
- Click the “Feeds” tab – top left navigation area of the Bloglines application.
- Click “Add” (navigation options underneath the “Feeds” tab).
- Paste the link (URL) into the subscribe box (right-click -> paste) in the right frame.
- Click “Subscribe”
- Configure the options for this subscription.
- Click “Subscribe”
- The new feed should be visible in your “Feeds” window (left pane).
- Click the feed to test the Bloglines subscription.
- This is the “long” way (the most steps) to subscribe but it is also the most reliable.
- This is how you would subscribe if you were already reading your RSS feeds (subscriptions).
- If you are not already reading your feeds (subscriptions), you can shortcut this process by clicking the “subscribe” link on the home page.
- It is sometimes possible to subscribe to a blog feed by simply pasting the blog domain name (URL) into the subscribe field. If Bloglines returns more than one possible feed (eg, Atom, RSS, XML), just pick one!
- Sometimes, Bloglines will reject a feed because the feed is corrupted/not valid. I know of no solution in this case — other than to write the blogger in question and advise that there is a validation problem with their feed.